Monday, July 09, 2012

Truffles V 2.0

So last week I blogged about my first time making truffles.


Well the other day I looked at the 1/2 package of cream cheese left in my fridge and decided to give it another go!


Second time around was much more successful!


I took this recipe that I used the first time around and modified it a little bit. This is a picture from the first batch. Appearance: 10! Taste: 5....


Life Designed
I only had enough cream cheese to make about 30 truffles so I cut the recipe in half.  As mentioned in the previous post, the truffles were really really rich. Too rich. My friend said she couldn't even finish one! I actually couldn't even finish one and I love chocolate!


So this time around, I used 1/2 package of cream cheese and reduced the amount of chocolate chips and icing sugar to about 3/4 - this wasn't calculated or anything, it just happened to be all the ingredients I had left! (The original called for 1-1/2 cups of each)


Well, it worked out much much better. It was pretty sticky to work with - even after chilling it.
However, I didn't mind one bit because it made the truffles so so creamy- they literally melted in my mouth. AND they tasted a lot better because they weren't nearly as sweet. 


Oh and toast the pistachios! I can't believe I didn't do that the first time around. It makes a world of difference!! It really brings out the flavour and makes them more crunchy!


Truffles are so fun and easy to make, you can have all sorts of toppings on them and even in them! And if you take the time to package them nicely, they make a great gift! 


Modified recipe for 30 bit size truffles:


1/2 package of cream cheese
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup icing sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla


I love this ratio because it's more of a creamy texture with a cream cheese taste and I love cream cheese! 


If you want it a tad sweeter and a bit more firm- up the dosage to 1 cup each of chocolate and icing sugar.


The nice thing about making truffles is you can taste and adjust the sweetness as you go along- it's not like cookie dough where you're eating raw eggs. (Although I admit, I've been known to eat a bit cookie dough/cake batter!)

1 comment:

  1. yummy! check out Gordon Ramsay's truffle recipe! Super awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete